Three letters of recommendation are required. The letters must be written in English and come from faculty members or other individuals well acquainted with the applicant's academic work.
Due to the volume of applications which are received, and in order to read each application thoroughly and thoughtfully, we limit the number of recommendations to three.
Applicants to the Woodrow Wilson School M.P.A. and M.P.P. programs must have one professional letter in addition to one academic reference letter. The third letter should come from a faculty member, administrator, or professional who can comment on commitment to public service.
For applicants to the Master in Finance degree program, three letters are required, however, the department will accept one of the letters from a current or former employer.
The letters of recommendation are submitted using our electronic recommendation service. The applicant will be required to register the recommenders' email addresses within the application. Recommenders will then receive an email with directions on how to proceed. We suggest registering recommenders as early as possible to allow sufficient time for them to submit their letters of recommendation. An application does not need to be submitted in order to register recommenders. Please do not wait to submit an application because of pending letters.
If a recommender uses a letter service (e.g., Interfolio) the applicant will need to provide the recommender's unique "document email address" in the application. The Graduate Admission team suggests that the applicant confirms with the letter service that the requested letters were submitted.
NOTE: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives enrolled students the right to inspect and review their educational records. When a recommender is registered in the application, there is an option to waive this right. If FERPA rights were not waived, enrolled students may request access to view recommendation letters. Applicants who do not become students will not be able to view recommendation letters under any circumstances. The decision to waive or not waive the right will not affect the application for admission. Once the recommendation has been started, the waive status may not be changed.
Application Not Yet Submitted
An applicant who has not yet submitted an application can return to the application menu, click on Manage Account, and log into the application. Under Unsubmitted Forms, select the Princeton University application. From here, the applicant can view the progress of the letters of recommendation. To edit or change the recommender, change the waive status, or send a reminder, click on the Action drop down menu.
An applicant who has submitted an application can return to the application menu, click on Manage Account, and log into the application. From here, the applicant can view the progress of the letters of recommendation. To edit or change the recommender, change the waive status, or send a reminder, click on the Action drop down menu.
Applicants can visit the Online Letters of Recommendation section to manage recommenders and:
- Determine if it is In Progress, Completed, or Has Not Started Yet.
- Waive the right to review the recommendation letter if the recommender has not yet started the recommendation. If the right was already waived, that decision cannot be changed.
- An applicant will only be able to request to review letters of recommendation if enrolled. The decision to waive or not waive the right will not affect the application for admission.
- Edit or replace a recommender's name or email address if he or she has not yet started the recommendation.The original recommender will receive an email that he or she has been removed, and the new recommender will receive an email with instructions on how to submit the recommendation. The new recommender's name will not appear on the checklist until he or she has submitted the recommendation.
- Send a reminder to a recommender if the letter of recommendation has not yet been submitted.
Once a recommender completes the recommendation, the recommender cannot be changed or removed. Please do not wait for the recommender to submit before submitting the application.
If a recommender has used the CollegeNET application system previously, he or she will simply log in with the password he or she created. If the recommender has forgotten his or her password, he or she can request a new one by clicking the link in the email received and selecting "Request a New Password". For further assistance, email email@example.com.