Summer Concerts: When the Sun is High the Music Turns Up
Celebrating 24 years of community recitals, the Princeton University Carillon at the Graduate School located at 88 College Road West, Princeton, NJ 08544 will again host a season of international summer concerts for the surrounding community. All concerts start at 1:00 p.m. and are held rain or shine. Admission is free. Please call 609-258-3654 or visit http://gradschool.princeton.edu/life-princeton/our-community/residential-life/graduate-college/graduate-college-directions for additional information and directions.
“Tuning the Sky!”
July 3 Ulla Laage, Denmark
July 10 Rachael Perfecto & Jakob DeVreese, Connecticut & Belgium Guild of Carillonneurs in North America Class of 2015 Recitalists
July 17 The Treblemakers – Lisa Lonie & Janet Tebbel, duet carillonneurs
July 24 Auke de Boer, The Netherlands
July 31 Toru Takao, Germany
August 7 Tiffany Lin & Michael Solotke, Washington, DC and New York
August 14 Family Fun & Frolic – A children’s program with narration & carillon featuring selections from Saint-Saëns Carnival of the Animals and other tunes for the young at heart – Lisa Lonie, Princeton
August 21 Daniel Kehoe, Connecticut
August 28 Janet Tebbel, Pennsylvania
The carillon is a musical instrument of 23 or more bells that when sounded produce music. Carillon bells are hung stationary with only the clapper moving against the lip of the bell. It is manually played from a console with both fists and feet activating batons and pedals attached to the clappers through mechanical linkage. There is no electronic assistance to ring the bells. Remarkable variations in expression are possible and controlled entirely by the carillonneur. The music can travel great distances in all directions, making it a community instrument for the public.
The largest bell of the Princeton carillon weighs 12,880 pounds. Dedicated in 1927 the Princeton carillon is memorialized to The Class of 1892. The 67 bronze bells were cast in England, France and The Netherlands.
The carillon is a program of University Chapel Music and made possible by an endowment established by the Class of 1892.