Summer Carillon 2018

When the Sun is High the Music Turns Up

Celebrating 26 years of community recitals, the Princeton University Carillon at the Graduate School located at 88 College Road West, Princeton, NJ 08544 will again host a season of  summer concerts for the surrounding community.  All concerts start at 1:00PM every Sunday during July and August and are held rain or shine. Admission is free.   Please call 609-258-7989 or visit http://www.princeton.edu/gradschool/studentlife/residential/gradcollege/directions for additional information and directions.  https://gradschool.princeton.edu/about/carillon

“Tune the Sky!”
2018

Jul 1                The Treblemakers – Lisa Lonie & Janet Tebbel Carillon Duets

Jul 8                Geert D’hollander, Florida

Jul 15              Phillipe Beullens, Belgium

Jul 22              Joanna Stroz, Denmark

Jul 29              Hylke Banning, The Netherlands

Aug 5              Lisa Lonie & Sycamore Muse Guitar & Mandolin, Pennsylvania

Aug 12            Tom Gurin, Pennsylvania

Aug 19            Robin Austin, Pennsylvania

Aug 26            Anton Fleissner, New Jersey

Sept 2             Doug Gefvert, Pennsylvania

 

The CARILLON is a musical instrument of 23 or more bells that when sounded produce music.  Carillon bells are hung stationary with only the clapper moving against the lip of the bell.  It is manually played from a console with both fists and feet activating batons and pedals attached to the clappers through mechanical linkage.  There is no electronic assistance to ring the bells.  Remarkable variations in expression are possible and controlled entirely by the carillonneur.   The music can travel great distances in all directions, making it a community instrument for the public.

The largest bell of the Princeton carillon weighs 12,880 pounds. Dedicated in 1927 the Princeton carillon is memorialized to The Class of 1892.  The 67 bronze bells were cast in England, France and The Netherlands.

The carillon is a program of University Chapel Music and made possible by an endowment established by the Class of 1892.