Find eligibility and application information for federal work-study, including research assistantship guidelines. The Federal Work Study program provides eligible students with hourly employment opportunities. Federal Work Study is a cost sharing program, whereby the government pays 75% of the student’s hourly wage while the remaining 25% is paid by the employing agency. Eligibility Citizenship Status U.S. citizens & permanent residents ONLY may qualify for federal work-study. International students are NOT eligible for federal work-study. Additional Guidelines Eligible graduate students at Princeton participate in the Federal Work Study (FWS) program during the year. Students must meet the following federal guidelines in order to qualify for FWS funding: Students must be either U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Students must demonstrate financial need and federal eligibility. Students must complete the 2023-24 FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. Students must be in good academic standing. Apply for Federal Work-Study To apply to the federal work-study program, follow the steps in the order outlined below. Complete the 2023-24 FAFSA online using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to determine your contribution toward your educational expenses. Princeton University’s Federal School Code on FAFSA: 002627. Submit the Notify of Completed FAFSA form to alert us that you have completed this step.