GCAP Eligibility


To be eligible to receive a GCAP award, you must meet the following conditions:

  1. You must be a full time actively enrolled graduate student at the time the child care expense is incurred. Please note: visiting students and students on leave of absence are not eligible for an award.
  2. You have a child 6 years of age or younger as of September 1 in the plan year of your application.  
  3. You are a single parent and have a child 12 years of age or younger as of September 1 in the plan year of your application.
  4. You have a total annual household income (AGI) that is not greater than $130,000. Your total AGI will be increased by any pre-tax contributions to a retirement plan. Students who have significant changes in income from one year to the next should note such changes on their application.
  5. For child care expenses, your caregiver must provide a tax ID or Social Security number and is responsible for the appropriate taxes on income received for the care provided. The caregiver cannot be your spouse, partner or dependent.

    "Child" includes biological, step, adopted, foster, or any other child for whom you are the legal guardian or for whom you have court-awarded custody, and/or the child of your same-sex domestic partner. This child must share your home for at least half the year and you must provide one half of the child's support; no one else may claim this child as his/her qualifying child. If you are divorced, your child may live with your former spouse, however his/her financial documents will need to be provided in the application.

Undergraduate students with questions about support for dependent children should contact the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid via email (faoffice@princeton.edu) or phone: (609-258-3330).

Applicant Enrollment Status Changes

If your status as an enrolled student ends or if you are no longer considered a full time active student at Princeton University, you must notify The Graduate School immediately by contacting Jeanette DeGuire via jdeguire@princeton.edu. Your GCAP award will be prorated and cease on the last day you are enrolled as a full time active student.

If you have any questions about the GCAP, please contact Jeanette DeGuire via jdeguire@princeton.edu.

While the University intends to continue the Graduate Child Assistance Program (GCAP) benefit plan, the University reserves the right to terminate or amend the plan, at any time, and for any reason.