Federal Work Study Application Information for Student Applicants
The Summer 2020 Federal Work Study application process has not yet started.
There is a better chance of you obtaining a summer FWS position if you are able to identify a specific faculty member with whom you wish to work.
To apply to the federal work study program, please follow the steps in the order outlined below.
- File your 2018 Federal Tax Return by April 15, 2019. If you were not required to file a federal tax return, submit a signed Student Non Filer Statement indicating your sources and amounts of income during the calendar year. The 2018 Student Non Filer Statement can be obtained from the Graduate School.
- Complete the 2020-19 FAFSA online using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool . The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is used to determine your contribution toward your educational expenses. Princeton University’s Federal School Code on FAFSA: 002627.
The information from your federal tax return must be electronically transferred directly from the IRS into your FAFSA using the “IRS Data Retrieval Tool” in order to receive federal financial assistance from Federal Student Loan and/or Federal Work Study programs. Do not make any corrections to the information transferred from the IRS into your FAFSA.
- Submit Student Work Study Application
- Submit Faculty Supervisor Work Study Application
Notifications of eligibility and assignments will be made by the end of May.
Correcting and updating your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
If you submit your FAFSA prior to filing your tax return, you must correct and update your FAFSA using the Data Retrieval Tool. Follow the steps below to correct and update your FAFSA.
- Visit www.fafsa.gov. Select "Login" and enter the required student information.
- If you are updating an earlier FAFSA, click on "Make Correction" and enter the student's FAFSA PIN and password.
- Continue through the steps until reaching the "Student Financial Information" screen:
- Under the "IRS Data Retrieval" section, enter the student PIN.
- Click on "Link to IRS".
- Enter the address and tax filing status exactly as it appears on the tax return.
- Click "Submit".
- Review the tax information - but DO NOT change any data.
- Select "Transfer my Tax Information to the FAFSA" and click on "Transfer Now".
- A message will confirm that the information transferred.
- Continue through the remaining sections of the FAFSA and select "Submit". Once you have submitted the revised FAFSA, you will receive a confirmation email.
- Please notify our office that your FAFSA has been successfully submitted using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.