Federal Work Study Application Information for Faculty Supervisors

The Summer 2020 Federal Work Study application process has not yet started.

Normally, the Federal Work Study (FWS) Program will fund several graduate students to assist faculty members each summer. Students must meet the following federal guidelines in order to qualify for FWS funding and, therefore, to hold a research assistant position:

  1. Students must be either U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
  2. Students must demonstrate financial need and federal eligibility.
  3. Students must complete, sign, and file a 2018 federal income tax return.
  4. Students must complete the 2020-21 FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
  5. Students must be formally admitted for the fall 2020 term at Princeton University.
  6. Students must be in good academic standing.

Graduate student assistants will be appointed only for the summer (July - August). The number of positions funded is dependent upon the level of federal funding, the number of students applying compared to departmental requests, and federal guidelines for student eligibility.

If you wish to apply for a graduate student research assistant to work with you, please request the FWS Faculty Application from the Graduate School.

Note that there is a better chance of your getting a work study assistant if you are able to identify a student. Graduate students wishing to work as research assistants must also complete a FWS Student Application.

Graduate Students can request the FWS Student Application from the Graduate School.

Notification of eligibility and assignments occurs by mid-May each year.