Education Loans and Work Study

In this section, you will find information about loan and work study programs available to eligible Princeton University graduate students.

Education Loans

Long term education loans, payable after departure from graduate school, are intended to help students cover the cost of attendance during the academic year. The Graduate School can only certify loan amounts for essential educational expenses up to the cost of attendance less student resources. Expenses such as car payments or vacation travel are not usually considered essential.

Student loan applications for the 2021-22 academic year will be accepted after July 1, 2021. The Graduate School is no longer accepting student loan applications for the 2020-21 academic year.

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents

Both U.S. citizens and permanent residents may apply for federal student loans through the U.S. Department of Education.

International Students

International students are not eligible for federal loan programs. International students may borrow from private sources or apply for private student loans through banks, credit unions, or other lending institutions.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study program provides eligible students with employment opportunities. Eligible students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Federal Work Study is a cost sharing program whereby the government pays 75 percent of the student’s hourly wage while the remaining 25 percent is paid by the employing agency.