Information For Graduate Students

Prior to working

Social Security Number

A Social Security Number (SSN) is required for hourly student employment. Details of the SSN application process can be found on the Davis International Center website.

The following documents must be completed in order for you to be hired hourly student employment:

Form I-9  

A valid I-9 is required for all graduate students residing in the US and working in the U.S.

Learn more about completing the I-9


The W-4, found in TigerHub, must also be completed prior to employment. The University does not provide tax advice, however, for general questions regarding the form W-4, contact or visit the Payroll website.

Direct Deposit  

The best way to ensure that you receive payments from the University quickly and securely is by enrolling in direct deposit with a US-based savings or checking account. To enroll in direct deposit, visit TigerHub.  

Graduate Student Employment Policy 

Graduate student hourly employment is governed by the Graduate Student Employment Policy.

Fall 2021 Guidelines for Graduate Students

Students residing outside the United States are prohibited from hourly student employment. 

Incoming students are not eligible for hourly student employment until August 21, 2021, the date that incoming student enrollment begins.  

~Last updated September 30, 2021

Benefits for student employment

Student employees are eligible for NJ Sick Time detailed below.

NJ Sick Time

Student employees are eligible for New Jersey Sick Time. Students accrue one hour of paid sick time for every 30 hours worked. The maximum sick time accrual a student can earn is 40 hours per year.

Whenever practicable, students should contact their supervisor in advance to request sick time.

Students will not receive any payout for unused sick time Students can carry over up to 40 hours of unused sick time from one fiscal year to the next.

Read more about the Sick Time Policy. A Notice of Employee Rights is available from the State of New Jersey.

If you have questions about your sick time balance, please email Jeanette DeGuire at