University of Tokyo

The research exchange enables graduate students from University of Tokyo to spend from one month up to twelve months conducting research under the umbrella of project-based collaborations approved by the Strategic Partnership Governance Committee. Students hold the status of VSRC while at Princeton and are not eligible to take courses for official credit.

Application Requirements

  • Completed application
  • Copy of your current passport (name page only)
  • Resume or curriculum vitae
  • Brief statement describing your research project
  • Statement by sponsoring Princeton faculty member including: a concise description of the research collaboration, duration of proposed stay, support and department account number to charge (if any), and co-signed by the department chair
  • Statement by applicants home institution advisor including: confirmation of applicant's enrolled graduate student status and nature of collaborative work and its relevance to the student's academic and scholarly progress
  • Evidence of sufficient financial resources in English and U.S. dollars
    • Language translations and currency conversions are accepted
    • Bank statements and scholarship letters must include name

*Please refer to the financial requirements to determine the amount of funding required per month.

Completed applications need to be submitted electronically at least three months in advance of your intended start date to Graduate Admission. Any documents that are not submitted electronically when you apply should be emailed in PDF format to to be added to your application. If any items are missing you will be notified. Completed applications will be processed and upon approval you will be emailed your offer

Intended dates of stay must start on the first day of the month and end on the last day of the month.

The Davis International Center will issue a visa eligibility document (I-20 for F-1 students or DS-2019 for J-1 students) to those applicants requiring them only after the Graduate School has admitted an individual as a VSRC and a VSRC accepts admission. Please note that it takes up to 5 business days after you accept admission for the I-20/DS-2019 to be issued. To receive an I-20/DS2019, you MUST make arrangements for express mail via eShipGlobal. Please make arrangements as soon as you accept your admission.
If you indicate in the application form that you are a foreign citizen, a non-U.S. permanent resident, or currently outside the U.S., you will be issued a visa eligibility document that you will use to apply for an F-1/J-1 student visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate and to enter the U.S. Individuals entering the U.S. with a B-1 or B-2 visa stamp, or with a WT (waiver-tourist) or WB (waiver-business) I-94 cannot hold student status in the U.S.; therefore, these individuals will not be permitted to conduct research or receive any other VSRC benefits at Princeton.
If you are in the U.S. in student visa status studying at another school, you should check with your International Student Office to see if you may be a VSRC at Princeton and remain on that school's immigration documents.
If you are in the U.S. in a visa status other than F-1 or J-1, you should contact the Davis International Center to determine what immigration procedures, if any, you will need to follow to enroll as a VSRC. If you are in an immigration status that does not allow you to be a student in the U.S., please be aware that changing to F-1/J-1 student status could delay your VSRC start date.