Freie Universitaet Berlin

As part of the Berlin Consortium for German Studies, Princeton agrees to admit one graduate-level student from Freie Universitaet Berlin each year to conduct research for a semester or academic year.

Application Requirements

  • Completed application (pdf)
  • Copy of your current passport (name page only)
  • Resume or curriculum vitae
  • Brief statement describing your research project
  • Statement by sponsoring Princeton faculty member including: a concise description of the research collaboration.
  • Statement by applicant's home institution adviser, which includes: confirmation of applicant's enrolled graduate student status, nature of collaborative work, and its relevance to the student's academic and scholarly progress
  • Transcripts of courses
  • Evidence of sufficient financial resources in English and U.S. dollars
    • Language translations and currency conversions are accepted
    • Bank statements and scholarship letters must include name

Please email your application to Elaine Willey.

The Davis International Center will issue a visa eligibility document (I-20 for F-1 students or DS-2019 for J-1 students) to those applicants requiring them only after the Graduate School has admitted an individual as a VSRC and a VSRC accepts admission. Please note that it takes up to 5 business days after you accept admission for the I-20/DS-2019 to be issued. To receive an I-20/DS2019, you MUST make arrangements for express mail via eShipGlobal. Please make arrangements as soon as you accept your admission.

If you indicate in the application form that you are a foreign citizen, a non-U.S. permanent resident, or currently outside the U.S., you will be issued a visa eligibility document that you will use to apply for an F-1/J-1 student visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate and to enter the U.S. Individuals entering the U.S. with a B-1 or B-2 visa stamp, or with a WT (waiver-tourist) or WB (waiver-business) I-94 cannot hold student status in the U.S.; therefore, these individuals will not be permitted to conduct research or receive any other VSRC benefits at Princeton.

If you are in the U.S. in student visa status studying at another school, you should check with your International Student Office to see if you may be a VSRC at Princeton and remain on that school's immigration documents.

If you are in the U.S. in a visa status other than F-1 or J-1, you should contact the Davis International Center to determine what immigration procedures, if any, you will need to follow to enroll as a VSRC. If you are in an immigration status that does not allow you to be a student in the U.S., please be aware that changing to F-1/J-1 student status could delay your VSRC start date.