University of Tokyo Exchange Program

The study exchange normally allows up to four graduate students from each institution to enroll in courses at the partner institution for one semester, or two graduate students from each institution to study at the partner campus for one academic year, under the general supervision of a member or members of faculty of the hosting department or program. The exchange will initially be limited to U. Tokyo students who can meet Princeton’s English language requirements for international graduate students in any discipline.


At Princeton, U. Tokyo students will be registered as Visiting Exchange Students, with access to all the same facilities as a full-time enrolled graduate student. There will be no tuition or fee exchange under this agreement. U. Tokyo students do not receive funding from Princeton. Students may apply for campus housing but it cannot be guaranteed.

Application Submission Dates As early as six months, but no later than three months prior to your intended start date (See chart.)
Program Length One term or one academic year
Application Fee None

Application Requirements

Students must be nominated by The University of Tokyo and have a Princeton primary adviser. Admission is contingent upon final approval by the host institution.

  • Statement of Purpose - brief statement describing your proposed plan of study

  • Resume or curriculum vitae

  • Transcript from current enrolled school

  • Home Institution Adviser Statement - confirmation of your enrolled graduate student status, nature of proposed plan of study and its relevance to your academic and scholarly progress

  • Copy of your current passport (name page only) – international applicants only

  • Provide confirmation of English Language Proficiency (Students are expected to have a level of oral English proficiency sufficient to participate successfully in the various activities that they will need to do while on the exchange.) TOEFL, IELTS, DET (Duolingo English Test) results or a letter from the student’s home school adviser confirming sufficient English proficiency for the purpose of the exchange, is acceptable documentation.

Visa Information

(International applicants only)

All international nondegree students must arrive in the U.S. with a valid F-1 or J-1 student visa. The Davis International Center will assist with the visa eligibility documents (I-20 for F-1 students or DS-2019 for J-1 students) after admission is offered.

Applicants who require additional accessibility assistance may contact [email protected].

BEgin YOUR FALL  ApplIcation