Enrollment Statuses

One’s enrollment status defines their relationship to the Graduate School. By receiving a University identification card and/or completing semester sign-in, degree-seeking graduate students are registered as enrolled and will from that point forward hold an enrollment status with the Graduate School that may allow them to qualify for a degree in the program to which they were admitted. All former graduate students also hold a status that indicates either degree completion or a reason for the end of degree candidacy.

Degree-Seeking Graduate Students

Individuals who may qualify for a degree in the Graduate School program to which they were admitted hold a status that indicates that degree eligibility. The two broad status types for degree-seeking students are enrolled and unenrolled with continuing degree candidacy.

Enrolled statuses include regular enrollment, in absentia enrollment, and dissertation completion enrollment (DCE). Unenrolled statuses include a leave of absence, ET/DCC (enrollment terminated, degree candidacy continues, or suspension.

Learn more about Degree-Seeking Statuses.

Former Graduate Students

Former graduate students who are no longer seeking an advanced degree in a program to which they were admitted also hold a status with the Graduate School. These statuses include graduated or permanently discontinued due to voluntary withdrawal, termination, expulsion, or the revocation of the degree. Former graduate students are by definition unenrolled and are not eligible to resume an enrolled status within the same degree program. 

Learn more about Former Degree-Seeking Statuses.