Frequently Asked Questions


When and how is the best time to request an application, catalog or departmental information?

Hard copy materials are no longer available; please refer to this website for all admission information.

The admission application is available September through December for admission the following fall. You can access the application by visiting the Applying to Princeton section for step-by-step information on what you would need to do to apply. If you are interested in material about an academic department, you may view it on the web directly from the department's website.

Is there a different application for international students?

There is only one application, which can be used by U.S. citizens, permanent residents or international applicants for any academic department.

What are the application deadlines and fees?

Please refer to Deadlines and Fees.

May I apply to more than one department?

No, only one application may be submitted each year.

How can I check the status of my application?

You can check on the reciept of letters of recommendation and test scores by visiting our Check Your Application Status website.

Does the Graduate School admit for spring and/or summer?

No, new students are admitted once a year beginning in the fall.

Does Princeton have a credit system?

Princeton does not operate on a per credit basis. All students must be enrolled full time, with the exception of approved part-time students in certain professional master's degree programs.

May I transfer credits from another college or university to Princeton’s graduate program?

Princeton does not operate on a credit system. Therefore, no provision exists for transferring credit received for work at other institutions. Ph.D. students who have completed work elsewhere should be able to present themselves for the general examination in a correspondingly shorter time and should discuss this with the director of graduate studies in their program.

May I defer my admission?

An offer of admission is made only for the next academic year and generally cannot be deferred. The Graduate School, however, permits academic departments to recommend admission deferrals on a case-by-case basis. If granted, the deferral is normally for one year only; the student is expected to have accepted Princeton’s offer of admission and support. Accordingly, a student who requests and is approved to defer admission is considered under an obligation to enroll and attend the graduate program the following year.

My bachelor’s degree was completed in 3 years, is that acceptable?

The admission committee will accept a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university regardless of the program length.

May I request that my application materials be returned to me?

The application and all materials submitted to the Graduate School become the property of Princeton University and will not be returned under any circumstances.

What is the code for GMAT, GRE, IELTS and TOEFL?

When registering for the test, you must request that your scores be sent to Princeton University, institution code 2672 (GMAT, GRE, IELTS and TOEFL) or WC1-L5-59 (GMAT). Department codes are not used at Princeton, if you are required to select a code choose one closest to your interest.

How can I contact GMAT, GRE, IELTS and TOEFL?

You can contact Educational Testing Services (ETS) at 609-921-9000 or browse GMAT, GRE, IELTS and TOEFL.

What is the phone number for Graduate Admission?