Summer Funding for Research and Language Study
Provision for summer support during all years of a student's program is offered to Ph.D. students in the Humanities and Social Sciences departments through University Fellowships, which are full, 12-month fellowships. However, for Humanities and Social Sciences students who require additional funds for summer travel -- especially for language study, dissertation fieldwork, archival research abroad, or other costly academic initiatives -- there may be additional funds available from one of our many inter-disciplinary programs.
Students in the Natural Sciences and Engineering departments are normally supported during the summer by their academic departments with fellowships and/or research assistantships and are not eligible.
The following programs work together to provide Humanities and Social Sciences students with supplemental summer funding to support summer activities related to academic work. Each program has unique eligibility criteria and application requirements. Please review the program information below to explore summer funding opportunities for which you may be eligible:
- Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies
- Committee for Canadian Studies
- Program in American Studies
- Program in the Ancient World
- Program in East Asian Studies
- Program in Hellenic Studies
- Program in Judaic Studies
- Program in Latin American Studies
- Program in Near Eastern Studies
Students must submit an application in January/February each year for consideration. The program funds are usually disbursed with the May monthly stipend check allowing students to make advanced, lower cost travel reservations or to pay tuition for language study away from Princeton.
The application process is coordinated campus-wide through a single online application form, per the following guidelines:
- Requests for funding from the participating programs listed will only be accepted through this application; you must apply to multiple programs in a single application.
- Programs may require supplemental materials as part of this application process. Additional documents should be submitted directly to the programs as per their requirements.
- The deadline for submission of the application is February 15, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
- Awards will be announced sometime after mid-April.
- If you have any questions regarding eligibility, supporting documents, or similar, please contact the program directly.