Course Information

Transfer Credit

The Graduate School does not operate on a system of semester-hour credits. Therefore no provision exists for satisfying any portion of degree requirements by transferring credit received for work at other institutions. Students who have completed work elsewhere, however, should be able to present themselves for the general examination in a correspondingly shorter time, after meeting the Graduate School residence requirement and any departmental requirements.

Course Requirements

Course requirements are set at the level of the department, not by the Graduate School. Graduate students are urged to confer with their DGS if they have questions regarding departmental course requirements.

Course Enrollment

Graduate students may enroll in courses at Princeton throughout the length of their regular program provided they have completed academic year sign-in and are not registered in absentia.  (Students enrolled in DCE status are not eligible to enroll in courses.) Courses are selected with guidance from the DGS or adviser(s) and are selected before the start of each term. Students enroll in courses using the TigerHub system.

Course Selection Procedure

Graduate students should meet with their DGS or designated adviser(s) before the start of the term to select courses. Students should print two copies of the course enrollment worksheet. After courses are selected, the DGS or adviser(s) signs both copies: one for the student’s records and one for the department office. Students not taking courses should select the box indicating they are not taking courses.

New students are encouraged to speak with their DGS before selecting fall term courses. 

Changes to Course Enrollment

Graduate students may add, drop, or change the grading basis of a course through Friday of the twelfth week of the semester. Courses may be added or dropped via the TigerHub system. Students who wish to change the grading basis of a course in which they are already enrolled must complete the course enrollment worksheet, have the worksheet reviewed and signed by the DGS, and submit the signed worksheet to the Office of the Registrar in 101 West College.

Important Dates for Course Enrollment 2014-15
September 10First day of fall courses
October 30Course offerings for spring term available on Registrar website
November-JanuaryMeetings with DGS or adviser(s) to select courses for spring term
December 2Course enrollment begins at 7 a.m.
December 12Last day for fall term course enrollment changes
February 2Start of spring term
May 1Last day for spring term course enrollment changes

Incomplete Coursework

Academic work should be completed during the academic term in which the course was taken. A grade of incomplete should only be awarded in exceptional circumstances when there are compelling reasons discussed in advance between the course head and the student.
According to the Graduate School’s policy on incomplete coursework, the coursework for an incomplete course must be completed within one year after beginning the course. If work is not submitted to the instructor of record within one year, the incomplete (INC) grade will be changed to an administrative F by the Graduate School.